Re: [atlarge-discuss] The Rights and Responsibilities of Voting...

Walter,
I agree with your general sentiment about this election, but for one thing..

At 02:26 a.m. 28/05/2003, Walter Schmidt wrote:

We decided to elect 11.
I don't think "we" did. The members were polled in April and most opted for a panel of 5.
Jefsey and his "polling committee" decided 11 anyway.

"We, the members" should only accept decisions from an elected Polling Commission. (or at most a p-committee of an elected Panel)

Stuck with this election now, I think the best the new Panel can do is look at the numbers of votes received and hope that those do did not receive a decent percentage of the vote (default candidates) voluntarily step back, so that it can reduce itself to a smaller number.

If they refuse, there will be contention.

Since Jefsey also *decided* to give a potentially unstable and contentious Panel a mandate of 12 months, the first thing Panelists need to do is reduce that term and agree on early new and uncontestible elections as soon as rules on our structure have been formulated and ratified.

When elected, this will be one of my first motions for action.

-joop-