[atlarge-discuss] Call for Membership to define role of new panel

I suggest we wait and see the outcome of this election, and then poll the
membership to

(a) verify their acceptance of the published results
(b) state whether they want to set limits on the period-in-office of the new
panel (to 3 months/6 months/9 months etc)
(c) determine whether the membership is happy with the electoral outcome, or
whether they want to limit the size of the panel (to 5 members/7 members
etc)
(d) define the mandate and objectives for the new panel (creating an
electoral commission/ broader mandate)

I suggest it is important for the membership to endorse the outcome of this
election, and fine-tune its tenure/size/mandate.

If we, the membership, is contented with the outcome of this election - then
all well and good - and we proceed at full steam ahead.

If we, the membership, collectively determine that some aspects of the
outcome should be re-defined, then that too is all well and good.

It is important that from this point onwards we establish the primary
principle that it is the members - not the panel - that should lead this
organisation. It is the members who should define the policies and
objectives of the group. The panel's task is to serve to fulfil the members'
agenda. Nothing more, nothing less. I suggest we employ a polling process
shortly after the election results to set the members' agenda, including a
definition of the extent to which we wish to implement the election outcome.
Given the vagaries of this election's processes, such an endorsement seems
appropriate. It will also set the precedent for the future :

That the membership, through polling, decides what the organisation does.

The membership defines.

The membership dictates.

The membership hires and fires.Welcome to "bottom up" democracy.

Sincerely,

Richard H