RE: [atlarge-discuss] methodes de travail normales

Sotiris Sotiropoulos wrote:

| I am not berating anyone for speaking/writing another language.  I am
| questioning the ability of anyone who doesn't have a firm grasp of
| English to communicate effectively and succintly as a panel member of
| this organization.

Someone from a country with an established bilingual policy should know that
it is not essential that all members be native-English speakers.  I have
only rarely had times when I was unable to understand what Jefsey was trying
to say, and when I am unclear as to his meaning, I'm not to proud to request
an explanation, and he's always been more than happy to provide one!  I
don't speak French at all, so he's one up on me.  In fact, I also noted him
replying to several Spanish-language posts, so he's *two* up on me!  Knowing
his speech comes from a different cultural perspective, I try not to read
any of my cultural biases into his words, knowing that his ideas have no
basis in them.  This is true of any non-native English speaker who posts
here.

I have a real problem with people who criticize the grammer of anyone in
this formum.  Our list's focus is Internet users' rights, not English
Grammer & Compositon.

Bruce Young
Portland, Oregon
bruce@barelyadequate.info