Re: [atlarge-discuss] Re: [ncdnhc-discuss] WHOIS/privacy

Eric and all fellow members,

  The right to know what exactly?  And why is any right to know
personal and private information a superior right?  I believe just
this week the US supreme court disallowed the "Right to Know"
in effect as to an individuals sexual activities in his or her own
abode, did they not?

  So a broad declaration as to "Right to Know" is woefully
inadequate at a minimum even as it applies to Whois data...

  For instance the US supreme court has on a number of occasions
upheld the specifics of the privacy act as it applies to individuals
and what can and cannot be restricted to any individual or
from any individual.  A in depth review perhaps would be a good
exercise for all US members here...  Including yourself
Eric...

  Another example of right to privacy is the "Credit protection Act".
Or had that one slipped your mind as well...  Read it in it's entirety!

Eric Dierker wrote:

> There is a point in time when privacy is important.
> There was a situation which occured that allowed me to work with my
> mother, as the acting chair of a hospital that serviced a larger square area
> than Singapore, Japan, Delaware and New York State combined.
> We concluded it serviced 8 distinct languages.
> Privacy was determined HOLY but we made exceptions:
> Treatment
> Patient directory
> Family members and Others involved in care
> Facility operations
> Research
> Required by law
> Public health