Re: [atlarge-discuss] incorporation - misinformation debunked

Thank you, Eric, for clarifying the difference between the requirements for
incorporation and the requirements for compliance with IRS regulations in
the US.

In addition to the 50 states that you mentioned, there are numerous
off-shore territories and possessions.  These additional American entities
have various political and fiscal relationships with the US.  Puerto Rico,
for example, with a population of 3.2 million, has commonwealth status (they
are within the US Customs Zone).  Other territories are outside of the US
Customs Zone and have their own constitution, but have reciprocal or mirror
tax systems that are based upon the US Internal Revenue Service. All Federal
tax laws apply (including the George Bush tax cuts).

When Jeff writes of a 501 (c)(3) corporation, he is primarily referring to
the IRS tax status, not the method of incorporation.  Because Federal law
prevails, any 501 (c)(3) corp. is subject to the United States Internal
Revenue Service regulations no matter where it is incorporated. It is the
IRS that approves (or otherwise) the corporate entity for this tax exempt
status.

A recent raid, by the IRS, of an EDC corporation in St. Croix, brought home
the fact of Federal jurisdiction.  Local law permits the forgiveness of
certain taxes for corporations that (among other requirements) establish
residence in the USVI.  Residence is determined by a permanent presence that
exceeds 30 days, ownership or long term lease of property, voter
registration and transfer of driver license by the principles of the
corporation. These requirements fall short of the IRS requirements for
off-shore residency which, among other things, is residence outside of the
United States for more than six months of any given tax year.  The raid was
to gain evidence that some tax beneficiaries (although well within the local
law) did not meet the IRS residency requirements.

I repeat, setting up a global corporation in the US and claiming tax
exemption for donors through a 501 (c)(3) IRS certification, is not a trivia
l affair.

Ron Sherwood