[atlarge-discuss] VC: verification committee

On Wed, 23 Jul 2003, Joanna Lane wrote:

> ...one idea under discussion is the Web Of Trust system at
> www.thawte.com. Some feedback from the membership about that would be
> helpful, even putting yourself through the process.

   ...for some basics:
 Explanation of the web of trust of PGP:
http://www.rubin.ch/pgp/weboftrust.en.html

   ...for some specifics:
 Trust gets personal with Thawte's Web of Trust (WOT):
http://www.thawte.com/html/COMMUNITY/wot/index.html

How do I get my name in my Cert?
(http://www.thawte.com/html/SUPPORT/wot/general.html) In order to get your
identity assessed through the WOT you need to first check if there are
Notaries in your area. CLICK HERE for a directory of notaries.
   ...so I clicked there and it wanted an ID. Apparently one cannot look
at the list without first "joining." Now I do not mind joining (it is
apparently free), but before I do - does anyone know of a way to view the
list of Notaries?

If there are notaries in your area you can set up a meeting to get your
identity assessed. If there are none nearby then you need to go through
the TTP system, which you can read about here.
   ...which system apparently costs $25US.

--

 ---  REgards, walts@dorsai.org  Walter C. Schmidt, IT CPA  Blue(^) ---
 - -   Microsoft MVP - Windows XP Media Center Edition - HPMC 873n  ---