Re: [atlarge-discuss] VC: Thawte's WOT Part 7...

At 01:50 PM 7/25/2003 -0400, Walter Schmidt wrote:

It would seem I'm in.

 --- REgards, walts
Walter (et al):

So it would seem. :-)

Ah, but not so fast grasshopper! :-(

Here's my story re the same:

I received and responded to my "ping" E-mail from Thawte Wed, 21 May 2003 08:57:12 GMT, and received my "Certificate Requested" response Wed, 21 May 2003 09:13:21 GMT -- an impressively brief lag time.

I anticipated a timely, if not prompt, notification of Personal Certificate from Thawte as well.

When I had not as yet received one by Fri, 06 Jun 2003 12:54:35 -0400, I E-mailed an inquiry to Thawte: "I have still not received the proffered personal certificate. Please advise." This was approximately twelve (12) business days following my initiating the Thawte Personal Certificate process, the entry step for all certifications.

In less than stellar time I received this response (in part) at Fri, 6 Jun 2003 19:29:51 +0200 (here converted to plain text):

-----
Hi there

If no email has been received to download the Thawte certificate, it is possible to download the certificate from our website by following the instructions below:

1. Log into your Personal Certificate System at the following link: https://www.thawte.com/cgi/personal/contents.exe
2. Click on 'Certificate' on the left hand side of the page
3. Click on View Certificate Status
4. Click on the certificate you want to download under 'Type'
5. Click on 'Fetch Certificate'

This will download the certificate.
-----

So grasshoppers, armed with the information above, and if you are particularly excited to be getting your very own Thawte Personal Certificate as was I, you might just want to begin visiting https://www.thawte.com/cgi/personal/contents.exe early and often to find yours. Don't count on some kind of notification from Thawte.

E.G.: Three days ago I mailed (USPS) my Thawte "Trusted Third Party" Web of Trust application materials to Thawte (USA).

The opening sentence of my cover letter to them reads: "I will be in regular and frequent contact with your office, via E-mail, phone, and fax to expedite and assist in my verification."

The closing sentence of my cover letter to them reads: "I will appreciate and anticipate your earliest review and approval. If I do not receive some information from Thawte within one week of the date of this letter [Wednesday, July 23, 2003] I will make inquiry."

It turns out Thawte (USA) is in Raleigh, NC, which is within 132 miles (212.5KM) and three (3) hours of me. :-)

So guess what I'm going to do if I have the least difficulty with them? ;-) :-)

/s/ Joey

Saturday, July 26, 2003 * 11:05 AM EDT USA

 Thawte Username Successfully Created!
Congratulations! You now have an account in our database that will give
you access to the Thawte Personal Certification System and you will never
need to complete this enrollment again. You will need the password you
selected earlier, and have stored safely.

Your username is:

xxx

Once you have recorded your username exactly as shown here, including all
punctuation, dashes and other characters, press the "Next" button below.
This will take you to the certificate enrollment in the Thawte Personal
Certification System so that you can obtain your first Thawte Personal
Cert. You will be prompted for the username (above) and password you
selected.

If you are enrolling because an PKI Security Officer (SO) has requested
that you obtain a Name Validation Certificate or a Strong Extranet
Certificate then please check the checkbox below before clicking "Next".
This will direct you to the next step to obtain these certificates.

  I enrolled because an ESO requested I obtain Name Validation or Strong
Extranet Certificates

In future, when you want to get into the system you can go directly to the
Personal Certification System Home page at the following URL:
https://www.thawte.com/xxx. You will need your username (xxx) and
password.

Once you have successfully reached the home page you should bookmark it
for easy future reference. You will probably want to come back several
times, to add and remove email addresses, get new certs with different
information contained in them, revoke some certs, and renew others.