Gruß,
Mario

YUGOSLAV NGOs
Belgrade, April 26, 1999

STATEMENT ON POSSIBLE INTERNET BAN

We, the representatives of the Yugoslav civil society, coming together to
protest NATO bombing and ethnic cleansing in Yugoslavia now have to deal
with other problem that could uncouple us from the world and practically
forbid our free expression and dissent.
        One threat is coming from Yugoslav government agencies and the
controlled domestic INTERNET providers. For them it is important to shut
up all independent voices for which reason they banned the radio B92 and
put under control other independent media.
        For NATO it appears important to cut off all dissenting people and
groups from Yugoslavia in order to maintain the image of Yugoslav society
asif it is totally controlled by Milosevic regime and made only of extreme
nationalists who deserve punishment by bombs.
        For us who are long time activists of human rights, minority
rights, union rights, free press rights, women rights, peace and democracy
activists, it is vital to maintain Internet connection to the world in
order to get information and communicate with people about our situation.
        We are using INTERNET with respect to the netiquette and urge all
Yugoslav users to avoid hostile and insulting vocabulary. We also pledge
to all our international contact people to exercise their influence on
INTERNET public opinion to avoid aggressive language and hatespeech in
correspondences to people in Yugoslavia.

PLEASE HELP US TO STAY IN TOUCH WITH THE WORLD!

Yugoslav NGOs:

- Association of Citizens for Democracy, Social Justice and Support for
Trade Unions
- Belgrade Circle
- Center for Democracy and Free Elections
- Center for Transition to Democracy
- Civic Initiatives
- EKO Center
- Belgrade Women Studies Center
- European Movement in Serbia
- Forum for Ethnic Relations and Foundation for Peace and Crisis
Management
- Group 484
- Helsinki Committee for Human Rights in Serbia
- The Student Union of Yugoslavia
- Union for Truth About Anti-Fascist Resistance
- VIN Weekly Video News
- Women in Black
- YU LawyersÆ Committee for Human Rights
- District 0230 Kikinda
- Urban in Novi Pazar, and
- Center for Policy Studies
- NEZAVISNOST Trade Union Confederation

Centar za proucavanje alternativa/ Center for Policy Studies
ul. Brace Jugovica 21/II
11000 Beograd
Yugoslavia

tel/fax: * 381 11 3220 253;          e-mail: ialeksic@yubc.net