[ICANN-EU] Re: Election Results - US presidential Race update

Keith and all,

  Indeed you are correct!  And as such most regulations even when
selectively enforced don't work on those in which they were selectively
enforced upon.  Just look at Exxon for instance.  ICANN is or will
become another example, depending on you point of view as to whether
the UDRP (A regulatory body any way you slice it).

  GW on the other hand is strongly against any Internet regulation of any
kind.  In our meetings with GW some time ago, he was very adamant
in keeping the Internet free, or relatively free of any kind of regulation
and let the free market take chart it's own course.  We support this view.
Industry cannot adequately regulate itself and governments cannot
properly and/or even handidly enforce their own regulations.  And
with the Internet, their are just too many good technicians that can route
around any regulations that might be put into place anyway.  Many
are already "Routing Around" ICANN and the UDRP already.  This
trend is likely to increase depending on how ICANN handles the
selection of new gTLD and TLD registries.

Keith Weiner wrote:

> I have two observations.
>
> 1) *All* regulation is unconstitutional.  For example, the first
> amendment did not exclude "commercial" speech, and the 5th and
> 15th amendments did not exclude the tax collector from having to
> prove your guilt.
>
> 2) Politicians don't worry about the enforcability of their regulations
> at first.  It's enough to get a new area under "control".  Later,
> selective enforcement often suits them because it creates an
> atmosphere of fear.
>
> > Roeland Meyer wrote:
> >
> > > In other words, I don't think that the spectre of "regulation" has
> > > substance.
> >
> > I agree with you, but I am sure some politicians will not. ;) There
> > are other interests out there. Its all about control over
> > communications, and what is decentralised at the moment could become
> > more centralised later.
> >
> > Some parts of the US government are stating there is a 'national'
> > interest in monitoring the net, like the NSA and FBI.  (Carnivore and
> > Echelon)
> >
> > Trademark and other intellectual property interests have already
> > broadened their powers over what words and letter sequences you can
> > actually use - UDRP and the Trademark Cyberpiracy Prevention Act are
> > examples. Their powers just get broader all the time... and its a
> > scary scary situation for the First Amendment, and human rights in
> > general. The Internet participant could become the Internet viewer,
> > one day... and lose a lot more of their rights in the process.
> >
> > The 'wrong' speech - let's not forget Bush saying 'we have to do
> > something about that' regarding the political parody on him on a
> > domain utilising his name. Vote-auction getting its domain deleted,
> > even though it was a parody. Deleting the domain was a bad decision -
> > actions like that can make lawmakers believe that networks and
> > registries have to be responsible for the content on domains. Continue
> > making decisions like that, and expect to be nailed by a law or court
> > decision for being a publisher that is accountable for the content.
> > (Prodigy was subject to just such a decision) It seems laughable, but
> > I have seen enough laughable decisions by courts in Germany to believe
> > anything is possible from that quarter.
> >
> > I can go further, but I'll stop for now. :) What I will definitely say
> > is there is no easy choice for President, not for us small-time
> > Internet folks. I think we are going to have to defend ourselves from
> > either of them, whomever wins.
> >
> > all the best, Robin

> Keith Weiner                keith@dw.com
> DiamondWare, Ltd.           Voice:    (480) 380-1122
> 10516 E. Flower Ave.        FAX:      (480) 380-1133
> Mesa, AZ 85208              Home Page: www.dw.com

Contact Number:  972-447-1800 x1894 or 9236 fwd's to home ph#