Re: [ICANN-EU] .EU

Dear Jeanette:

> >It certainly lacks among other things political power, social unity and
> >an identity. With the growing importance of the internet the TLD
> >.eu is a statement towards importance of the European Union.
> >See it as an additional symbol, maybe the equivillant of a flag.

>Sorry, I've never been a flags' lover ;-)

Then see it as any kind of symbol, you may like.

> > >What I do care about, however, is the TLD's names policy.
> > >If we need .EU in the first place it should be open for all Europeans.
> > >Isn't it rediculous that non-EU members such as Switzerland have to
> > >go begging for admission?
> >Please do not mix the geographic area of Europe with the entity called
> >European Union.

>ccTLDs used to refer to territories, about 95% or 99% of which are
>equivalent to countries.

Which does not mean, it always has to stay that way.
The two poorest arguments in the world are:
It has always been that way. It has never been that way. :-)

> >Switzerland is not part of the European Union by choice!

>This sounds as if it is only fair to exclude Switzerland,  Norway etc.

It is their choice. Do you want to disrespect it?
AFAIK, they could become members tomorrow, if they wanted.
How would one justify to give them membership benefits without
them fullfilling membership duties?

>However, you know quite well that there are a bunch of countries
>who won't be led it in for many years to come.

Because the EU has choosen its criteria for members and applicants.
Like them or not, every group is free to set rules for membership and
application.

>My point is that I don't see any good reason why the DNS should
>reflect the social and economic asymmetries brought about by
>Europe's geo-political order.

Wow, that is quite a political statement!

May I kindly ask you to give some details on your judgement.

Which other political ideas do you plan to carry into ICANN?

Andreas Fuegner