Re: [ICANN-EU] .EU

Jefsey, Alexander,

>At 10:43 30/09/00, you wrote:
>>Dear Jefsey,
>>sorry to disagree once more! ;)
>> > 1. The .eu string was ill chosen and never discussed. As considered on
>>the
>> > icann-fra ML the Brussels document asked question about
>> >      the management of ".eu" never on the choice of ".eu". In French
>>and
>> > spanish "EU" means Etats Unis or Estados Unidos, ie. USA.
>>I think, in Spanish the USA abbreviation is EEUU.
>>Additionally, e.g. .FR is not an abbreviation, but the
>>/beginning/ of the word FRance. Same applies to .DEutschland,
>>.ITalia, .ESpaņa. So .EUrope would not be that illogical...

If we get into latin vs. anglo-saxon, or abbreviations and acronims, we will
never end (BTW, has anybody noticed that US for latin countries could mean
"Union Sovietique"?).
The ISO code for Europe had been chosen long before ICANN came to existence,
so .eu is not "negotiable" as ccTLD.
Moreover, it can only be assigned to the entity identified by ISO, which is
the European Union, not geographical Europe.
It will be sensible for the Commission to extend the usage to geographical
Europe (following public enquiry on the subject), but they are by no means
obliged to do so.

>What I mainly say is that the extensive Brussels' study on .eu was
>about the management of the TLD not on its designation.

Agree on this, and on large parts of the sentences snipped.

>> > (http://www.din.de/gremien/nas/nabd/iso3166ma/new02_00.html)
>>
>> > This means that the ".eu" is not actually a country but a money.
>>Denmark
>> > and UK are supposed not to be confused withe Euro.
>>The reserved code element /was/ meant for the money, but
>>now it is to be used for the European Union. That is the
>>advice the ISO 3166-1 maintenance agency gives.
>
>Yes. This is why it is ill chosen. We could have had ".eu" for the
>Europe and maybe ".ue" or ".ecom", or ".eur" for Europe. Anyone
>is able to see that it would have meant some additional value and
>synergy both for the Euro and for Europe.

Sorry, but according to ISO, "EU" is for the European Union, not for the
Euro (please note "European Union", not "Europe", as spelled out in the
reference above). The ISO4217 code for the Euro is "EUR".

This, of course, does not exclude the possibility of having another TLD for
a different purpose (I like .ecom - as for .ue and .eur they will be
inevitably rejected as, respectively, potential ISO3166 code and current
ISO4217 code).

Regards
Roberto