Re: [ICANN-EU] .EU

> If we get into latin vs. anglo-saxon, or abbreviations and acronims, we
> will never end (BTW, has anybody noticed that US for latin countries
> could mean "Union Sovietique"?).

:-))

The ISO code for Europe had been chosen
> long before ICANN came to existence, so .eu is not "negotiable" as
> ccTLD. Moreover, it can only be assigned to the entity identified by
> ISO, which is the European Union, not geographical Europe. It will be
> sensible for the Commission to extend the usage to geographical Europe
> (following public enquiry on the subject), but they are by no means
> obliged to do so.

I think the Commission has vaguely (?) indicated that it is willing to do
so eventually (despite of Andreas' opinion that Switzerland, Norway
etc. should take & accept the blame of being excluded from .EU land :-
))
If this is true, the crucial question would be if they have to wait until all
attractive domain names have been snatched away by the truely
upright Europeans ;-)

jeanette