Re: [ICANN-EU] Re: .EU

Marc,

>Could someone, please, explain to my little brain:

I can try. As my brain is also little, we may understand eachother ;>)

>1. Why we need a .eu? What is wrong with eu.int for the European
>Commission and its institutions?

The idea is not to use it for the Commission (at least not *only* for the
Commission + official use), but to create a "common space" for European
business.
You can see it as a political move to go another step forward towards
building a more united Europe. In this sense, the remark that in latin
languages "EU" could be read as "Etats Unis" can come up handy: "Etats Unis
d'Europe" being the full name ;>).
Personally, I think that the Commission is right in trying to create a
common space for european business, and I also believe that to go for a
ccTLD instead of a gTLD was the right choice. I have argued for it for
months, and I am personally happy to see that ICANN has taken a decision
that corresponds to my hope (see my post to the public forum on new TLDs,
question 55:
http://www.icann.org/cgi-bin/mbx/rpgmessage.cgi?newtlds;3968A0B80000048B).

>2. How it can be a ccTLD?

Because ISO/MA has put it in the 3166 reserved lists, and has stated that
they have no objection to its use as ccTLD. ICANN has then resolved that
this is sufficient to delegate the ccTLD.

>3. Can other organizations of countries also apply for a ccTLD? Say OPEC?

If they manage to get a code in the ISO3166 list, or at least in the
reserved list, with additional statement from ISO that they do not oppose
the use thereof as ccTLD, yes.
Personally, I doubt it will happen, but they may try. What about "Give us
the ccTLD, or we raise the prices" ;>)

Regards
Roberto