Re: [ICANN-EU] Re: .EU

Roberto,

Thanks for replying!

On Tue, 3 Oct 2000, Roberto Gaetano wrote:
[And I wrote:]
> >1. Why we need a .eu? What is wrong with eu.int for the European
> >Commission and its institutions?
>
> The idea is not to use it for the Commission (at least not *only* for the
> Commission + official use), but to create a "common space" for European
> business.

I cannot see, that this is useful. Bussinesses are either local/national
and will not need a .eu name then, or global, and in that case better use
a .com if they are going to compete. What companies only target the
European market?? Or, though you don't mention them, what organizations? I
think .eu will mainly mean duplication of existing names and some names
for a few lucky people, who were too late for their name in .com or their
country ccTLD.

> You can see it as a political move to go another step forward towards
> building a more united Europe. In this sense, the remark that in latin
> languages "EU" could be read as "Etats Unis" can come up handy: "Etats Unis
> d'Europe" being the full name ;>).

OK, it is a flag. Fine with me. Not useless, a flag, but rather limited in
use.

> Personally, I think that the Commission is right in trying to create a
> common space for european business, and I also believe that to go for a
> ccTLD instead of a gTLD was the right choice. I have argued for it for
> months, and I am personally happy to see that ICANN has taken a decision
> that corresponds to my hope (see my post to the public forum on new TLDs,
> question 55:
> http://www.icann.org/cgi-bin/mbx/rpgmessage.cgi?newtlds;3968A0B80000048B).

In which you say only that there should be no conflict with ISO-3166... I
can see that point :-)

> >2. How it can be a ccTLD?
>
> Because ISO/MA has put it in the 3166 reserved lists, and has stated that
> they have no objection to its use as ccTLD. ICANN has then resolved that
> this is sufficient to delegate the ccTLD.

Sure, some rules are followed alright. Still it feels like,
... wrong. There is no territory, no people, ...

> >3. Can other organizations of countries also apply for a ccTLD? Say OPEC?
>
> If they manage to get a code in the ISO3166 list, or at least in the
> reserved list, with additional statement from ISO that they do not oppose
> the use thereof as ccTLD, yes.
> Personally, I doubt it will happen, but they may try. What about "Give us
> the ccTLD, or we raise the prices" ;>)

Since TLDs can be very profitable, this is not only a matter of
principles. Or am I too suspicious?

Thanks again for clarifying!

--
 Marc Schneiders --- http://bodacious-tatas.org: no not what you think