Re: [ICANN-EU] Re: .EU

Marc Schneiders schrieb:

> > >1. Why we need a .eu? What is wrong with eu.int for the European
> > >Commission and its institutions?

> > The idea is not to use it for the Commission (at least not *only* for the
> > Commission + official use), but to create a "common space" for European
> > business.

> I cannot see, that this is useful. Bussinesses are either local/national
> and will not need a .eu name then, or global, and in that case better use
> a .com if they are going to compete. What companies only target the
> European market?? Or, though you don't mention them, what organizations? I
> think .eu will mainly mean duplication of existing names and some names
> for a few lucky people, who were too late for their name in .com or their
> country ccTLD.
> [...]

There are a whole lot of organizations with a European "con-
text". Somebody has to pay all the lobbyists in Bruxelles
and Strasbourg after all :-). And for businesses, I think
that the European market might be a *bit* easier to serve
than the global market. Eventually it's even called "Single
Market", and I hope we didn't standardize the bending of ba-
nanas Europe-wide for fun.

Tim