Re: [ICANN-EU] Things to Ask for at MDR

Thomas and all,

  In your an Janet's proposal there are some really good points.  Most
of which were made over two years ago to the than Interim ICANN
Board and were summarily dismissed by Mike Roberts.

I will outline below, the suggestions that were posted to the
comments@ICANN.org
about two years ago that are the same or very similar to what you and Jeanetts

proposal have.

Thomas Roessler
                    <roessler@does-not-exist.org>

                       At Large Members Forum

       Requests for Bylaw Changes and Board Decisions/Practice

  * Changing the Bylaws

    The board should no longer be permitted to change the bylaws by
    simple resolution. Require consent from (or at least give veto
    right to) SOs and At Large Members / At Large Council.

  This one of our original ideas that we submitted to the than ICANn Interim
board.  I also think you mean here ALL of the At Large Members, don't you?

  * Seating of Directors/Pending Decisions

    Postpone controversial decisions until new directors are seated.
    The current board's legitimacy to decide on such questions would
    appear to be questionable.

Agreed.  Our original proposal that is similar to this one would require
that if new board members are elected and a policy decision is pending
at the time of their setting that the ICANN membership (Read @Large)
must approve any and all MAJOR policy decisions by resolution and
majority vote.

  * Expiration of Terms

    Introduce equal treatment for elected At Large Directors and all
    others. In particular, the elected At Large Directors should
    continue to hold office until their successors are selected.
    (Affects Art. V, S. 9 Bylaws.)

  * Filling At Large Director Vacancies

     ­ New At Large Directors should be selected by existing At
       Large Directors only. Rationale: There is no reason why
       SO-selected directors should have a vote when filling At
       Large seats. At Large Directors don't have a vote in filling
       SO vacancies, either.

     ­ When some kind of representative At Large Council has been
       established, it should have the right to fill At Large
       Director vacancies. Note: This should remain the exception -
       stick with direct elections for regular director selection!!

    (Affects Art. V, S. 12 Bylaws.)

  *  . . .

                       At Large Members Forum

           Requirements for the At Large Membership Study

  * Examine member registration/activation process.

  Agreed here as well!

    Why did 50% of the registered members not activate their
    membership?

We already know the answer to this question.

  * How can a structured At Large Membership be funded?

  * The study should call for input from the existing At Large
    Members' community.

  * The Advisory Committee on Membership (or its successor) should
    be extended by at least one elected At Large Director and at
    least one recognized individual from the At Large Members'
    community.

           Requirements for the Executive Search Committee

  * Include at least one elected At Large Director in the Board's
    Executive Search Committee.

It would seem even more reasonable that an EQUAL number of @large
directors should be on the Executive Search committee.

  * Solicit input from the general Internet community on possible
    candidates to serve as ICANN's CEO and President.

Also a good suggestion here as well!

Thomas Roessler wrote:

> Folks,
>
> Jeanette Hofmann and I had a lengthy talk about things the At Large
> Membership should ask for on the short and mid terms.  We are
> planning to present this list at the At Large Members Forum at
> Marina Del Rey next week-end.
>
> A first draft can be found in the attachments.  Please let us know
> your opinion on this, and tell us about any omissions or erros we
> have made.
>
> Thanks for your input,
> --
> Thomas Roessler                         <roessler@does-not-exist.org>

Contact Number:  972-447-1800 x1894 or 9236 fwd's to home ph#