Re: [icann-eu] eu domain and the ISO 36610

Alexander Svensson wrote:

>A propos ISO 3166: It seems the ISO 3166 Maintenance Agency
>is not too happy with the use of country codes for non-country
>purposes and non-country codes being used for country code
>TLDs. There is a statement on their web site about this,
>a recommendation to IANA/ICANN:
>
>  - A ccTLD shall consist of the two-letter code for the
>    country concerned from ISO 3166-1.
>  - The use of a ccTLD should be associated with the name
>    of the country concerned.
>  - No other two-letter codes shall be used in the context
>    of TLD applications.
>[http://www.din.de/gremien/nas/nabd/iso3166ma/new02_01.html]
>
>I'm not sure whether they just dislike using .tv for
>television, .tm for trademarks and so forth or whether
>they now consider their approving nod to .eu a mistake.

>From what I understand, their only concern is the delegation of a two-chars
TLD that is not country-related, but generic.

Which, BTW, is a red herring, because ICANN will never do it.

(strictly speaking, it seems to me that this will even strengthen the
position of .eu as ccTLD - or at least for an "association with the
country's name", the "country" being Europe - but that is just my personal
interpretation).

Regards
Roberto