RE: [atlarge-discuss] online voting

Vittorio Bertola wrote:

>In fact, that's exactly what I am thinking of. The original ICANN
>proposal was to identify people by having them register a domain name
>and be listed on a WHOIS server - which was an unsecure method, costly
>for the user, and easily capturable by registries and registrars
>(though perhaps these were appreciable features for some of those who
>drafted that proposal).

Ya think?!  :)

The "domain name holder as user" idea was total illogic!  I never bought the
idea.

> . . . we should employ a wide number of different authentication
>methods, not necessarily PGP-based (as the target is much less technical).

I agree.    This PGP thing Manoj is working on sounds like the way to go in
many areas.  But where PGP is impractical, different methods that work best
in the locale using them need to be considered.  We need to avoid placing
participation barriers in front of anyone.

Bruce Young
Portland, Oregon
Bruce@barelyadequate.info
http://www.barelyadequate.info