RE: [atlarge-discuss] role of voting

> From: Thomas Roessler [mailto:roessler@does-not-exist.org]
> On 2002-05-28 17:29:48 -0400, Joanna Lane wrote:
>
> >How dare the GA Chair *insist* that all members of the GA keep him
> >informed of their contacts with the press, or has he singled out
> >Jamie Love for special treatment?
>
> I asked for something which I consider a matter of courtesy and fair
> play: That I get a copy of possible press releases (back then, I
> suspected that one had been made; this suspicion turned out to be
> wrong) concerning a vote of the GA at the same time as such press
> releases are made.

You are confused. The only "Press Releases" coming out of ICANN are from
Mary Hewitt's desk and I doubt she would agree to give you an advance copy.
The GA has never issued a Press Release in its life, either independently,
or through Mary Hewitt's office, (I wish that it would, but it could never
agree on the wording.) Those are the only Press Releases that need concern
you in your capacity as the Chair. Regarding those coming from other
organizations and individuals, there is no "Right of Rebuttal" in a Press
Release, which is not an investigative report, where "fair play" would allow
you to comment, it is simply a position statement from an organization or
individual which they wish to have released into the public domain for any
number of reasons. How a Press Release is then reported (or distorted) in
the mainstream media (if at all) is not something that can be controlled by
the issuing organization, or individual, let alone by somebody who didn't
even release the statement in the first place. Regarding those who may talk
directly to the press, let's say for example that Jamie were to give an
interview to the New York Times, and comment on the recent GA vote. Do you
think they would send him an advance copy and hold publication until they
have his comments on their opinions of his opinions of the GA? It seems like
you're trying to control the free press, which would be a rather silly thing
to do.

> By the way, may I suggest that you move this discussion to the GA
> itself?

No, sorry, this topic is relevant to the At Large as much as the GA and I
may need my GA quota for administrative tasks.
Regards,
Joanna