[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: [atlarge-discuss] voting and polling
- To: todd glassey <email@example.com>
- Subject: Re: [atlarge-discuss] voting and polling
- From: Jeff Williams <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Date: Fri, 31 May 2002 22:30:07 -0700
- CC: Joop Teernstra <email@example.com>, James Love <firstname.lastname@example.org>, atlarge discuss list <email@example.com>
- Delivered-To: mailing list firstname.lastname@example.org
- List-Help: <mailto:email@example.com>
- List-Post: <mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org>
- List-Subscribe: <mailto:email@example.com>
- List-Unsubscribe: <mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Mailing-List: contact email@example.com; run by ezmlm
- Organization: INEGroup Spokesman
- References: <200205310123.AA210108662@mail.beethoven.com> <200205302140.AA293732544@mail.beethoven.com> <200205302138.AA198508790@mail.beethoven.com> <20020531080234.GP27077@yoda.does-not-exist.org> <firstname.lastname@example.org> <email@example.com> <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Todd and all stakeholders or interested parties,
todd glassey wrote:
> Joop - No matter what commentary you came up with below the first time a US
> Congressman gets a call from the At Large membership group and it has 10K +
> US members the DoC will very quickly start rethinking its ICANN alone
> stance. The DoC is easily swayed by one thing and that is the American
> Voting Public.
How true Todd. Especially during an election year, which 2002 is as
some here know. We [INEGroup] have found that a number of
congressmen in key states, are particularly attentive of late...
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: "Joop Teernstra" <email@example.com>
> To: "todd glassey" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
> Cc: "James Love" <email@example.com>; "atlarge discuss list"
> Sent: Friday, May 31, 2002 4:58 PM
> Subject: Re: [atlarge-discuss] voting and polling
> > At 06:33 a.m. 2/06/2002 -0700, todd glassey wrote:
> > >DNSO could easily swamp ICANN if it ever got its act together.
> > Hmm.
> > ICANN has the IANA function and the MoU with DoC.
> > ICANN has the funding from the gTLD registry tax.
> > ICANN can do with a 9 person staff and remain nimble on its feet ,but the
> > DNSO, to be legitimate as a stakeholder body, must lumber itself with a
> > large Registrant "parliament" slowed down by democratic on-line
> > Only an automated streamlining of the procedures, such as was proposed
> > The Polling Booth with its procedural charter , would mean that the DNSO
> > would become a real influence.
> > I guess this is what you mean by 'getting its act together'.
> > But it would be an intensely political body. Nobody would be sure of the
> > ultimate allegiance of candidates for office. If it would start making
> > deals with the GAC, the ccSO, US Congress and the EU, the lobbying power
> > the big corporate interests now dominating the Names Council would still
> > undiminished.
> > Its main function would be to provide ICANN and its operations with
> > glasnost and legitimacy.
> > >It represents
> > >the only large group of voters that are capable of participating as
> > >individuals in the Internet Process. This is a very serious issue since
> > >there are so many fracturing influences in the DNSO.
> > Think this through a bit more, Todd.
> > >If I was ICANN I would run in fear that DNSO would achieve a real
> > >behind a real charter, and start getting active here in the US as a PAC
> > >not just an independent Internet Only Working Group.
> > If I was ICANN I would see the above scenario for my DNSO as my biggest
> > What I would really fear is a completely independent At Large driven by
> > real Individual concerns.
> > --Joop
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
> For additional commands, e-mail: email@example.com
Jeffrey A. Williams
Spokesman for INEGroup - (Over 124k members/stakeholders strong!)
CEO/DIR. Internet Network Eng/SR. Java/CORBA Development Eng.
Information Network Eng. Group. INEG. INC.
Contact Number: 972-244-3801 or 214-244-4827
Address: 5 East Kirkwood Blvd. Grapevine Texas 75208
To unsubscribe, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
For additional commands, e-mail: email@example.com