RE: [atlarge-discuss] Election update

Vittorio,
I'm sorry to keep beating the same drum, but your Charter constrains
candidates to only carry out a narrow "inside ICANN, play by ICANN rules"
vision of this organization. You are limiting Candidates to those who will
volunteer to carry out your vision. To attract the best Candidates, they
must be able stand for election on the basis of their own vision. If
predetermining a Charter for the Interim panel didn't work as a top down
mechanism last time, why would it work better this time?

Maybe I'm missing something, but I thought the electorate wanted to chose
the best candidates to carry out the tasks THEY want them to do. I might put
as a priority a candidate who makes a pledge to develop an At large
organization policy on Registrar transfer issues. Another member may not
want representation within ICANN, but seeks a voice at the next
Congressional Hearing. The At Large Organization is multi-faceted. As it is,
you are pushing your vision, which is valid, but it is biased in favor of
working on specific issues over a year, that and nothing e4lse, and all
within ICANN. Well, I'm sorry, but this Charter is not a fair and balanced
document to open opportunities for all voices to be heard and represented.

For example, Your Charter states in Paragraph number 1 that the Executive
will only guide an outreach campaign for the highest possible number of
active users who might want to participate *IN ICANN* - and only by
registering at a website called - *icannatlarge.com* - , so before the
organization is even incorporated, you have already alienated all those
individuals who might want to join to obtain representation in Internet
Governance through participation in an At large organization, both within
AND without ICANN, or simply outside ICANN.

I thought it had been agreed to give the Executive a free hand, to be
flexible and adaptable to meet rapidly changing needs.  If so, then instead
of this Charter, you would ask each Candidate to submit a rough draft of a
Charter (goodness knows there are enough around to pick from) as well as a
Mission Statement - a statement that sets out their pledges for the next
year. Then you will be allowing members to Vote the best person *for them*
into the job, which is what we want isn't it?

Also, you are about to create a rod for the organization's back by adding
that the membership must grow to a point where it can be considered
sufficiently representative of such users, without saying what that criteria
may be.

Don't do this. Just hold an election for an 11 person executive and let the
candidates and the members tell you what they want for the next year. Please
facilitate getting the best candidates to step forward, not dictate what
they can and cannot do once in the job.

Regards,
Joanna