Re: [atlarge-discuss] My choices for a leadership team

Izumi, you wrote:  << dealing with US Congress is not the business of the new
organization, at least directly, in my opinion. >>

I fail to understand your reticence to fight for the At-Large in all
pertinent venues.  We are clearly in a war with many battlefields and it is
our collective job to defend the rights of our community no matter where that
battle may take us.  If you wish to fight only within the Halls of ICANN that
is your privilege, but decisions are being made in other arenas which will
impact the ICANN organization and which will affect the general user
community.

I respect the effort made by Jamie Love and a host of NGOs to communicate
their concerns to the Department of Commerce (that must craft a new
Memorandum of Understanding with ICANN in the immediate future) -- and it is
only by the exercise of such "influence" that representation for the At-Large
can possibly be secured in a future form of ICANN.

You and your peers have already lost the battle for representation within
ICANN's tent.  Please don't stifle the efforts of others that might yet
succeed where you have failed.  The power of the US Congress might be the
last bastion of hope for any chance at ever seeing an At-Large director once
again on the Board.  Don't discount that option prematurely to your detriment.

The "business" of the new organization continues to be the effort to seat
user representatives on the Board, whether that means lobbying members of the
Nominating Committee or using Congressional leaders to fight for "tasks" in
the MoU which mandate such representation.  I don't intend to lie down and
tamely accept the edicts of this incumbent Board as sacrosanct.  The fight
will continue, and I hope that the leadership of this group is prepared for a
tumultuous fight.  The At-Large has been reduced from a promised nine to
zero... I don't intend to accept that situation, and I would hope that you
would be prepared to fight for what is right and to keep on fighting until we
are accorded our due.