Re: [atlarge-discuss] Legitimacy Re: Fw: [atlarge-discuss] ALOC Draft 3.0

Eric and all stakeholders or other interested parties,

  Goals and rules are entirely different things.  I think Eric, you may
be intermixing the two in you comments below.  At least that's how
I read your comments.

  Goals will sooner or later change once one set of goals or a single goal
is met.  That is to be expected.

  Rules on the other hand are to be adhered to, but may also change
as well if the rule or rules no longer apply...

eric@hi-tek.com wrote:

> Let me give this another shot on legitimacy and rules;
>
> The success and legitimacy of this group should not be determined by a pre-set and predetermined set of standards as we are frontier volunteers and what we encounter is brand new.  As explorers into new areas of international voting we must remain elastic and not let other self appointed gurus set the goal posts which they can move at their whim.
>
> OTOH having high standards which we self determine to set for ourselves but do not achieve sets us up for failure in our eyes and in the eyes of others.  I personally love high goals but in the court of public opinion, when you set them and fall short you are a failure and lose legitimacy.
> We can all learn from good discourse regarding legitimacy but when setting rules regarding such we must remain practical and set the standards at reasonably achievable levels.  Let us not let ICANN insiders set unrealistic standards that if not met they can point at and claim no legitimacy.
>
> Thank you and Lawrence for bringing these important issues to the forefront where we too often obviscate moral requirements.  If we disagree a bit it is only in degree but not in desire.
>
> Sincerely,
> Eric
>
> espresso@e-scape.net wrote:
>
> > At 11:34 -0700 2002/07/30, eric@hi-tek.com wrote:
> > >Please do not set up artificial requirements that meet with artificial
> > >goals in order to legitimize any voting we may hold.
> >
> > I would tend to agree, but the legitimacy question is crucial. Many of us are contesting ICANN's methods because they violate the rules. By the same token, we hundred-or-so on this list can hardly constitute ourselves the At Large electorate or claim to legitimately represent them.
> >
> > >There are no rules.
> >
> > There certainly are, though there is a different set for each possible model. Lawrence Solum is, I think, correct when he distinguishes between the model where ICANN's jurisdiction is a narrow, purely technical one and the one where it oversees broader issues in the public interest.

> [...]

Contact Number:  972-244-3801 or 214-244-4827