Re: [atlarge-discuss] Re: Call for New Webmaster, ICANNatlarge voting reminder

Joanna and all stakeholders or other interested parties,

Joanna Lane wrote:

> > From: Joop Teernstra [mailto:terastra@terabytz.co.nz]
> > Not a special right, a special duty, now there is nobody else to
> > make this
> > necessary posting. Do you have an issue with the content?
>
> First, I am very surprised that as supporter of democratic principles, you
> decided unilaterally to do an end run around an elected Committee and
> communicate directly with the membership. If you really cannot tolerate
> webmaster duties any longer, then just decide on a date that gives a
> reasonable amount of notice to the Committee to find a replacement after the
> election and send them a note. Then it's their problem, not yours.

  Good and already articulated point here Joanna.  Thank you for your
support on that.

> Second, I do have an issue with the content you sent, which was the
> equivalent of trying to recruit a building contractor before the architect
> has drawn up the plans.

  Also a good point here.

> What we really need is  Terms of Reference for the Committee to move the
> process forward expediently as soon as elected, but in a proper,
> professional manner. Something along the lines of:-
>
> TERMS OF REFERENCE for The Executive Committee to develop a Corporate
> Identity for the Organization known as ICANNATLARGE.COM (working title).
>
> The Design Brief
>
> Problem Situation
> The problem situation is the basis for the design brief and any subsequent
> design activity. The Executive Committee will prepare a clear articulation
> of the problem situation in advance of soliciting interest from the
> membership for prospective designers and/ or replacement webmaster. This is
> essential if the correct problem is to be identified and an appropriate
> solution found.

  Yes.  Special attention must be focused to a degree that the members
should approve any major design and all major content provided
on the Web page(s)...

> The Committee will develop a brief statement that explicitly describes the
> situation that has caused or created this problem or opportunity. Note that
> the problem/opportunity need not be stated in this description. The purpose
> here is to set the stage for the problem. This statement will usually be
> more general in nature. The "problem situation" will be developed from
> discussions with the membership and current webmaster or may already be
> known to the Committee.

  This is a bit too complex and open for potential divisiveness that could
cause membership problems that need not be created.

> The Committee will describe the criteria and conditions that will affect the
> solution. These, along with the previous statement will form part of the
> design brief.

  Yes...

> The main considerations are:
>
> What is to be done? A sentence or two is needed to describe in general terms
> what the Committee intends to do. This will include a general statement
> about the nature and extent of job it is expected that the website/ forum
> and email lists will have to perform for the organization, as well as
> procedural issues or practices that may need to be developed. These
> procedural issues would include the Committee's decisions about how the
> selection of organization name and webmaster is to be made, and so on. This
> Committee will identify decisions that are to be ratified by the Membership,
> and those that may be made by the Committee following a period of
> consultation, with or without further consultation with the membership.

  All committee recommendations must be reviewed by the membership
and ratified by the membership.

> Specifications and Limitations. This is a list of specific criteria that
> apply to any solution. It could include technical specifications,
> limitations in size, cost, where the website and email lists can be hosted,
> etc. Any general criteria that impose limitations on any solution should go
> here. Typically these criteria are resource based or imposed from some
> external source, such as a legal requirement.

  Yes...

> Wish List. These are elements to be incorporated into the solution if
> possible that the Committee will identify through consultation with the
> membership.
>
> The Problem Statement
>  After the initial analysis and documentation for the Problem Situation, a
> specific problem needs to be identified. The problem should be stated in one
> sentence. The problem may have sub-elements that need to be worked out, but
> the major problem should be clear and explicit. Note that the solution will
> then have several components.
>
> The Designer's Task
>  The Committee will identify what the designer and webmaster is expected to
> do (and not do). It will provide a schedule of things to be done, a list of
> things to be delivered as part of the webmaster's job, with deadlines for
> delivery. This protects everyone involved.
>
> What the Successful Design Will Do
>  This is a description of what the solution will accomplish. It could
> indicate how well the solution is expected to work or under what conditions
> it will work.

Contact Number:  972-244-3801 or 214-244-4827