[atlarge-discuss] We are not alone -- Fwd. WSIS: Virtual PrepOns in cyberspacefor the Information Society

This material is not about ICANN but it holds some interest, I think, for the potential of an "At Large" community that really works.

<< start of forwarded material >>

From: "Chris Zielinski" <informania@supanet.com>
To: "Crisinfo list" <Crisinfo@comunica.org>
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2002 14:05:03 +0100

CRIS Info is a public list for information and questions about the campaign for Communication Rights in the Information Society (CRIS) http://crisinfo.org
<

Friends,

This is to provide you with an update on developments with UNESCO
regarding the idea of an online PrepCom, or PrepOn. The message from Mr
Philippe Queau, Director of UNESCO's Information Society Division is
given below, together with the background correspondence in case anyone
missed it first time round.

I have followed up on the message from Mr Queau by writing to Axel
Plathe to offer the specific proposal that a UNESCO Virtual PrepOn be
set up as an online conference with a series of set topics for
discussion. The notion is that discussion on these topics would seek to
achieve consensus or conclusions, including position papers, which would
be fed into the WSIS preparatory process and the Summit itself.

Hopefully this can be organized quite quickly. Once there is an OK, we
can seek input from everyone regarding the choice of specific topics,
identifying people to introduce the topics, ensuring that the widest
possible participation is achieved, and negotiating the input of this
work into WSIS.

Best,

Chris

Chris Zielinski
Director, Information Waystations and Staging Posts Network
18 Monks Orchard, Petersfield, Hants GU32 2JD, United Kingdom
Tel: Home: 0044-1730-301297 Office: 0044-1730-710324
Mobile: 0044-797-10-45354 Fax: 0044-1730-265398