Re: [atlarge-discuss] Thank you all!

On Wed, 07 Aug 2002 00:16:39 +0530, you wrote:

> I have outlined my concerns to the elected Panel and  hope that they will be addressed in consultation. I have proposed that Joanna Lane be elected as the Chair. I do not attribute too much credence to the number of votes and so I do not think that the person who gets the highest number of votes has any special entitlement to the Chair.

Satya, as you seem to refer to me and to the discussion currently
ongoing on the (new) panel list, I just want to clarify one thing.

I don't think that I have any "right" or "special entitlement" to be
the next Chair. What I think is that if I act as Chair for a term, and
at the following election I am again the most voted candidate, with
over 50% of the voters including me in their vote, it means that the
majority of the voters agrees, at least to some extent, with my past
behaviour, and thinks I was a good Chair. This is why, if the panel
wants, I will accept to be the Chair again; in fact, refusing to do so
would be refusing to accept a responsibility that was implied in my
acceptance of the re-candidacy.

Said this, if the majority of the new panel does not agree with this
analysis, and thinks that anyone else is better and would better
represent the membership, it is absolutely free to choose someone
else. Only, I personally hope that the new Chair will be able to
unite, not to divide; and I am worried that we now already have four
individuals nominated for the Chairmanship (me, Jamie, Joanna and
Richard) and the discussion is heating up. The panel should not start
by splitting up on this issue! In fact, the Chair and Alt Chair should
be the strongest possible persons, and should have wide support in the
membership; they should not come up as a result of a hard fight.

And let me point out that you might not attribute much value to the
number of votes, but democracy *is*, in fact, about counting votes. We
are fighting for a one man - one vote principle in ICANN: how can you
say that the number of votes a candidate receives is not relevant?
--
vb.               [Vittorio Bertola - v.bertola [a] bertola.eu.org]<------