Re: [atlarge-discuss] Chair

We are here confronted with the same structural problem as ICANN, ISOC etc. The US law extends the US ARPANET under the term of "Internet" to the whole earth packet switched systems, who ever owns the machine and the lines, and make its management supposedly organized by the US Congress decisions, embodied into the ICANN through the DoC.

This is a fact. It has cons and pros. But as long as this confusion remains we have a need for a double structural support to both address:

- the US Communication Act (47 U.S.C. 230 (f) (1)) "Internet" dream
- the international "Intlnet" reality of our 189 countries, govs, consumer associations, laws, languages, cultures and 244 ccTLDs.

We therefor need to have two "plug-in": one to get ICANN and one to get real.

I feel Richard is going to be great about international outreach. And I hope he can organize an international icann.meetup competition (we lead in Paris :-) and we have a string Asian and European team. We lack SA and African people this time. But we will coodinate with them.

I feel Jamie and Joanna are going to stay tremendous about ICANN containement and control.
We need a Chair and an Alt Chair to coordinate. Or them to agree together about who can help the debate to go through.

So, I would advocate a double structure through an unique GA list as long as manageable. It would result from votes. The reality issues being on the basis of local national chapters votes and the ICANN dream beeing addressed through general votes of thoses interested/

Might also propose a "new" name:"ICANNATLARGE" standing for:
Internet : we are the Internet
Community : we want to be understood as the ICANN community
Association : we want to incorporate
of Named : only identified f2f Members can vote, this being our credibility
Network : we are the network
At Large.: we are the@large.

This way I can transfer all the icann-at-large.com etc. DN I register in protectin :-)
jfc

On 12:58 07/08/02, Vittorio Bertola said:

On Tue, 6 Aug 2002 22:39:18 EDT, you wrote:

>...and just where is it written that the panel has to elect a chair?

In the electoral charter. It was sent to all members before the
elections.

>And, if
>so, why should the panel and not the membership be the group that does the
>electing?

I guess this will be a matter for discussion when writing the Bylaws.
In fact, I think that having direct elections for the Chair could make
sense, if it was not just a mere "coordinating" position, as it is
now.
--
vb.               [Vittorio Bertola - v.bertola [a] bertola.eu.org]<------