You have the possibility of create a regional representantion

Yours

Erick Iriarte Ahon

At 11:17 a.m. 09/08/2002 +0100, Richard Henderson wrote:

----- Original Message -----
From: <espresso@e-scape.net>
To: <atlarge-discuss@lists.fitug.de>
Sent: Thursday, August 08, 2002 9:40 PM

>Whatever the method chosen to select a Latin American and an African to
provide that input, it is very important that we be clear: these people are
not being "appointed to" the Panel, which is by definition made up of
elected representatives. Instead, they would be invited to join its work as
non-voting advisors to the Panel.<
Judyth Mermelstein

I agree. It's important our democratic processes are kept crystal clear
(with no hint of croneyism etc - our democratic case depends on doing things
properly - Joe Bordo could help us with this). I also agree we need the
advice and active participation of a diverse range of people
(geographically, by issues etc).

I personally don't think you need to bring extra people "onto" the Panel at
this stage (though something like this could be written into our
constitution later) - but rather the opposite is appropriate just now. The
Panel should devolve the tasks and responsibilities as Vivek suggested.

Joanna has begun the process of defining Working Groups. Excellent. This is
exactly where diversity needs to happen : where we're actually doing all the
work and hammering out decisions. So people will be represented to the
extent that they are willing or able to get on board, get involved in these
(open) groups and make their contribution.

We are all working together in a very exciting initiative. The diversity and
representation are indeed important. Right now, the central "event" is the
very hard work and broad insights needed in these Working Groups.

Richard