RE: [atlarge-discuss] 006 Deciding Name...

At 22:41 14/08/02, Judith Oppenheimer wrote:
The multitude of names I find very confusing.  Were I an internet user
contemplating joining this organization, I'd expect it to have *a* name.
Dear Judith,
If I gave you this feeling I was wrong. The organization has one name http://worldatlarge.com and I hope that Sotiris proceeds quickly with it as the owner of the site and its webmaster.

Now, we will work by WG and local units. Each of them will have a site, because each of them must load its pages and for that to have a keyword. There are two solutions.

- either they chose names by their own no one will rember and find back, with a very low PR impact
- or we allocate them a sub adress consistent with the names we already have/
- we have worldatlarge.org, you have added internetatlarge.org, currently the site is icannatlarge.com
- we then put some order and people clearly understand what we do as soon as we have atlarge.org
- the worldatlarge.org alliases with wold.atlarge.org. They target to the same page
- all the national sites are then http://nation.atlarge.org on 189 machines, by 189 webmasters if you want. Easy to find them.
- we have working groups on ICANN, ccTLDs, etc.. they whare the webmaster or have their own webmaster (do not think the we will have one single webmaster and 100.000 members). their address will be http://icann.atlarge.org (and the existing http://icannatalrge.com/org will alias with it so people used to the old site do not get confused).

Not a different name for every day of the week and time zone.
I don't mean to be flip, but from a branding POV it makes no sense.
In addition, *you* think IETF; ICANN, NTIA, etc. for internet governance.
(a) Do you think John Q. Online Public is familiar with these names?
The person who wants to get http://ietf.atlarge.org is the person who want to go to the WG-IETF if there is one. John Doe will not go there (unless he follows a link). There is nothing special. Just normal large site management.

and (b) Which one of these entities represents internet governance by and
for the people?
The internet gouvernance is ICANN, NTIA, GAC... Sorry, I do not understand what you mean. Our organization is wlrold@large, part of the governance. If they want to contect us they go on http://worldatlarge.org - there they find the many they want, to the pages maintained by SOtiris and to the pages maintained on their own sub-website by the different WG/units.

You have registered http://internetatlarge.org so I suppose you want to set-up some pages at this address, under your own password? perfect. You will be referenced on http://worldatlarge.org and peole will also be able to access you directly. Fro them it is just a part of our global site. Even if for you it a site by your own, with your own working group.
jfc

Judith Oppenheimer
http://JudithOppenheimer.com
http://ICBTollFreeNews.com