Re: [atlarge-discuss] scrambling to register Names

Hello Joop,

this is very interesting!

At 15.08.2002 21:02, Joop Teernstra wrote:
>I am happy to see the run on suitable Domain Names by our active members here.
>
>What is happening in my perspective, is the beginning of Parties, that can cluster around each registered DN.
>This is not a bad thing.
>Every Name has its own connotations and its own inplicit mission statement.
>
>Sotiris needs to have his own Worldatlarge party.
>Esther needs (and has) her own ALOC/ICANN Party.
>Thomas and Alexander, perhaps with Vittorio, can be seen as  the beginnings of an (ISOC?) Party.

I don't quite get that -- I'm not even a member of an ISOC
Chapter and can't remember ever suggesting a special role
for the Internet Society or promoting its activities?
Never mind...

[...]
>Options to join different Parties will give our unhappy members  choice. Instead of dropping out from the fight, they can gravitate to another party, with principles and a tone that is more to their liking.
>
>The Parties get together in our "e-Parliament" , where we have common agreement on a Constitution with Rules of Conduct , Process and Representation.
>This is the place where we all agree on joint resolutions and common plans of action.
>
>IMHO the only way a bottom-up effort such as ours can retain its energy and motivation.
>
>A one-Party system does not look like an appetizing alternative to me..

I agree wholeheartedly that a monolithic structure would be a
monumental failure. That's why I don't want "icannatlarge.com"
(or whatever its name will be) to become the all-encompassing
single "voice of the users" -- users have many different voices
and they sometimes agree and sometimes disagree. I prefer many
instead of only one user organization, but we need some
interface between the user organizations and ICANN or the input
will not be heard.

Best regards,
/// Alexander