Re: [atlarge-discuss] ALAC teleconference August 9, 2002 Notes

At 15.08.2002 14:09, Richard Henderson wrote:
>I agree with you, Eric.
>
>This is an ICANN initiative and an ICANN agenda, setting out to legitimise
>the removal of elected AtLarge Board members.

1. I think it is wrong to portray the At Large Organizing Committee
   as an ICANN initiative. There was *no* ALAC proposed in the
   Blueprint; this was a result of lobbying for it at the Bucharest
   meeting. There was no ICANN money for an ALOC; this was a result
   of fundraising after the Accra meeting.

>The draft is being written by an ICANN appointee.

2. At the last teleconference, people presented their proposals,
   discussed them and selected one to pursue further.
   Neither Denise Michel nor Esther Dyson made efforts to push
   one of the proposals (the proposals being an ALOC-like structure,
   Vittorio's, mine and a proposal from the Latin American ALOC
   participants). And Denise is hardly an ICANN appointee; she does
   her work very independently. So, yes, she writes the draft, but
   the proposal was selected by the ALOC participants.

>The will of the AtLarge majority is clearly [...]

3. Richard, how did you divine "the will of the AtLarge majority"?

>The ALAC initiative lacks legitimacy, because it claims to speak for people
>who do not want it to speak for them.

4. No, it does not claim to speak for the AtLarge majority, because any
   such attempts would seem silly. It tries to figure out a structure
   for regionally-based At Large participation from a multitude of groups.

BTW, I want to thank Sotiris for reporting back from the teleconferences!

Best regards,
/// Alexander