[atlarge-discuss] WG-ICANN: Topics

There are a couple of deadlines/opportunities for providing input to ICANN:

1. ERC (Evolution and Reform Committee)
=================================
The ERC-appointed "Assistance Group" is about to submit a report. Vittorio is on the committee, and Esther and Denise have allowed Sotiris to participate as well. As I understand it, that group will be careful to keep their recommendations in the realm of what is acceptable to ICANN.

This group could draft submit a brief, but more principled input. This might not be acceptable to the Board, but it would demonstrate that the ERC-appointed group is not the only group to provide input.

I hope that Vittorio and Sotiris can provide an update of 1) what are the opportunities/deadlines for input, and 2) what might be an appropriate statement of principle to submit.

See: http://www.icann.org/committees/evol-reform/links.htm

2. National Government Hearings
==========================
Canada recently announced it would hold hearings in ICANN. Earlier, the United Kingdom and Australia also held (are holding) hearings. We could submit comments to each other those. Efforts should be led by participants from the country in question.
See:
Canada http://strategis.ic.gc.ca/SSG/sf05973e.html
UK: http://www.dti.gov.uk/cii/ecommerce/icann.shtml
Australia: http://www.noie.gov.au/projects/consult/consult.htm#ICANN
We might consider an unsolicited submission to the US Dept. of Commerce. Other groups are doing the same (CENTRE/Verisign, other registrars, NGOs.)

3. Shanghai Meeting
We need to identify issues and possible inputs for this next meeting.
See:
http://www.icann.org/shanghai/

Hans