From: espresso@e-scape.net [mailto:espresso@e-scape.net]
Sent: Friday, August 16, 2002 12:40 AM
To: atlarge-discuss@lists.fitug.de
Subject: Re: [atlarge-discuss] ALAC teleconference August 9, 2002 Notes

Hello again,

I swore I was going to try and get some work done today but the e-mail keeps
on coming ... Forgive the "digested" reply to this thread but it all belongs
together anyhow, I believe.

At 10:10 -0400 2002/08/15, Sotiris Sotiropoulos wrote:
>I consider myself more of an ALOC/ALAC observer, as opposed to a
representative
>with a mandate from the icannatlarge.com membership.  IMO none of the
>summarized proposals is really very acceptable.  But, given a choice among
>evils, of the four possible schemas discussed (and considering that direct
>elections appear to be out of the question for the BoD or the ALAC at this
>time), I think Izumi Aizu's approach towards combining regional and
issue-based
>organizations (i.e. the combination of proposal schemas 2 and 4) bears some
>consideration and is preferrable to the other alternatives.

Thank you for your care not to speak on our behalf without a specific
mandate BUT, now that we know what models are being considered and how they
plan to handle the production of the report, I think we SHOULD mandate you
specifically to respond to the proposal on our behalf, clearly statiing that
this group does not support even the least objectionable amongst several
objectionable options.

>I should here mention that Esther Dyson was clear during the previous
>teleconference that the current MoU was being scrapped... not sure what the
>DoC has to say about that, but E. Dyson was pretty clear on that point.

I think that speaks in favour of our group preparing and issuing a joint
statement ASAP to the DoC on the subject, citing (at minimum) the facts:

- that ICANN's mandate includes democratic election of at least some board
members as representatives of Internet users as a counterbalance to those
elected only parties with a financial interest in excluding the public from
decision-making;
- that the original ICANN At Large election process may not have been ideal
but nonetheless succeeded in recruiting many thousands of voters worldwide
(within three weeks!) to participate in a democratic election process, which
is a clear indication that Internet governance is a serious concern to the
public;
- that charging a levy on all domain name registrations worldwide so as to
provide ICANN with a larger budget definitely constitutes "taxation without
representation", an oppressive practice which runs counter to the principles
by which the United States governs itself;

whereby it can clearly be seen that ICANN has been working to eliminate the
democratic elements to which it committed itself under the current mandate,
to disenfranchise Internet users, stifle all criticism even within its own
committees (the ALSC having clearly recommended continued representation of
the Internet-using public on the ICANN BoD, etc.), and evade its
responsibility to protect the Internet as a public good. That being the
case, we believe it would be extremely unwise to renew ICANN's mandate
without concurrently spelling out (in all possible detail and with suitable
penalties for reckless disregard of the public interest) provisions to
ensure that a mechanism ensuring a fair and open election process for
representatives of the Internet-using public around the world, who should
number no less than 50% of the ICANN Board of Directors as insurance against
future attempts to turn the Internet into a fiefdom for board members whose
private interests conflict with the public good.

{You might want to trim and/or tone that down a little ;-)}

>Furthermore, it does seem as if 'elections' is not a term favoured of
>the ALAC members proper.

I don't think their personal preference for autocracy is enshrined in their
mandate, do you?

>I have stated that the final report should mention the ALSC study
>findings and the fact that the ALAC proposal(s) do not coincide
>with the findings of that Board commissioned study.  However, I'm
>not sure such an addition will be made to any final draft, as
>E. Dyson mentioned that dissenting opinions ought not be explicitly
>mentioned in the report, but rather that they be characterised as
>issues that require further discussion and thereby glossed over
>for the time being.

Sotiris, thank you!

Ms. Dyson, if you believe that a fundamental disagreement can be glossed
over by exerting spin-control in the content of final reports, I'm afraid
that you're doomed to disappointment. At the very least, a quick Google
search will reveal that ICANN's modus operandi is being subjected to close
scrutiny and criticism around the world, by governments and industry
insiders as well as by us ordinary mortals. I suspect that, whatever the
current Board is trying to do, ICANN's mandate is unlikely to be renewed
without at least some insistence on greater transparency and a stricter code
of conduct for those in positions of responsibility.

Regards,

Judyth

Judyth Mermelstein     "cogito ergo lego ergo cogito..."
Montreal, QC           <espresso@e-scape.net>
"History teaches us that men and nations behave wisely once
they have exhausted all other alternatives." (Abba Eban)