Re: [atlarge-discuss] Report to the ERC from the ALAC-AG (2/2)

Paul and all stakeholders or other interested parties and members,

Paul wrote:

> The problem with a country-based structure is that there
> are so many countries. Any body with representation from
> each country would be unwieldy.

  Well the UN is a country based structure.  It has worked
pretty well arguably for quite a few years.

  The country based structure is really borne of representation
commensurate of varying cultures from country to country that any
regional approach would not have...  This is important to many...

> Then there is the issue of differing populations - populous
> countries could be "outvoted" by countries with tiny
> populations. Togo, Luxembourg and the Vatican City
> outvote the USA, for instance. Maybe fair enough :-)

  True this could happen at times.  My guess is that it would
not happen all that often if the issue was well presented
and understood however...

> I can't see any way other than regions of ensuring that
> the interests of users worldwide are represented in a
> workable way.

  Understood to a point.  However the ICANN regional
structure clumps too many very diversified cultures into
one region and thereby blurring the interests that may at
times be unique to those countries...