[atlarge-discuss] RE: ...freedom-loving people clearly have more work to do...

Jim, since you included many of our key players in your original message, I
thought I'd CC our At-Large Discussion List forum, since your comments
mirror many others' writing here, and our members deserve to read them,
since the distraction factor you mention regarding the ALAC is a real
problem we need to overcome, and soon!

In my opinion, the ALAC was formed out of fear, in part as a response to our
self-organizing, as well as highly critical NGO papers appearing at that
time.  If you don't agree, reread the verbiage coming out of ICANN prior to
the Accra meeting.  They were talking a very different game.  We began
organizing just prior to the Accra meeting, and suddenly ICANN, in that
meeting, started up yet another AL*C committee to sidetrack us.  We didn't
bite and kept organizing.  In fact, some of our members, who were attending
ALAC meetings representing other affiliations they hold, actually tried to
pushed through significant changes, and were locked out of the final group
that actually wrote the document you referred to.

We are not "distracted" by the ALAC.  In fact, I think it's safe to say
that, since electing our first full-term panel members, we are more focused
than ever on the many tasks ahead of us.  We have scores of people
volunteering to assist in various working groups to build the
infrastructure, place us on firm legal and financial footing, and kick-start
outreach.  And it's all being done in the open in our e-mail forums and on
the Web site, visible to anyone who wants to watch.  The way ICANN *should*
be doing business but isn't.

Bruce Young
Portland, Oregon USA
bruce@barelyadequate.info