Re: [atlarge-discuss] RE: ...freedom-loving people clearly have more work to do...

Bruce and all stakeholders or other interested parties and members,

Bruce Young wrote:

> Jim, since you included many of our key players in your original message, I
> thought I'd CC our At-Large Discussion List forum, since your comments
> mirror many others' writing here, and our members deserve to read them,
> since the distraction factor you mention regarding the ALAC is a real
> problem we need to overcome, and soon!
>
> In my opinion, the ALAC was formed out of fear, in part as a response to our
> self-organizing, as well as highly critical NGO papers appearing at that
> time.  If you don't agree, reread the verbiage coming out of ICANN prior to
> the Accra meeting.

  I agree that you may have a very valid point here Bruce.  Well done!

  Indeed the ALAC/ALOC and it's so called champions have been
decidedly against any Stakeholder/user direct participation and/or
vote on policy issues or election of ICANN BOD members...

>  They were talking a very different game.  We began
> organizing just prior to the Accra meeting, and suddenly ICANN, in that
> meeting, started up yet another AL*C committee to sidetrack us.  We didn't
> bite and kept organizing.  In fact, some of our members, who were attending
> ALAC meetings representing other affiliations they hold, actually tried to
> pushed through significant changes, and were locked out of the final group
> that actually wrote the document you referred to.

  Exactly right!  And we must fully understand this as well as never forget it
either...