Re: [atlarge-discuss] RE: [atlarge-panel] website email

Joanna, Joop & Vivek (et al) [comments below]:

At 05:05 AM 9/3/2002 -0400, Joanna Lane wrote:

>Vivek,
>There is nothing transparent about Panel members receiving offlist replies.
>What is transparent is replies posted to a list that is publicly archived,

I believe Joanna that you are 100% correct!

Even personal off-list exchanges keep me watchful and wary, unless I can instantly discern that “yes” in fact they are personal and not needed or appropriate for the list.

Otherwise I will always error on the side of the presumption that everything belongs ON-LIST even if I error at times.

I can straight-forwardly (actually I prefer gayly-forward) alert EVERYONE in this organization not to take anything up with me concerning AtLarge that you do not want reported and shared with the list. I do not talk about people or issues, I talk TO THEM.

>which Joop is refusing to set up, because he would rather receive payment
>for his Polling Booth instead, which he personally owns, hence he is making
>it as difficult as possible to conduct this ballot another way.

Joop, what is the problem here. Why can you not do this Joanna’s way?! Please do not stand behind protecting my anonymity. I do not need nor wish it.

>Refusing to release the membership list is all part of the same problem,
>because it means a separate list to receive the ballot papers cannot be set
>up independently without his prior agreement and to go further, he is
>refusing to accept the authority of the Panel, not least by insisting the
>ICANNAtLarge.com domain remains on the ballot paper.

Hmm, seems just a couple posts back Bruce and I (Jefsey by reference) were talking about tails wagging dogs.

Joop clearly you are the tail (or in that proximity) in this case. Do you stand to make $$$ from your Polling Booth in this vote if that is the way that it is run?

Are you holding the voting process hostage to having ICANNAtLarge.com be on the ballot?

These are plain and simple questions I want your “Yes” or “No” to. A very simple ballot, no?

>Now what I want to know is why you would defend a webmaster who is holding
>this organization to ransom while insulting the Chair who is fighting to get
>this cancer cut out.

Vivek, answer please. We are ALL waiting.

>I believe very strongly that nobody is indispensable to this organization,
>so any member who attempts to claim control over one aspect or another, as
>the webmaster is now doing, is not going to be my best friend.

Same goes for me. I REFUSE to be indispensable here, or anywhere. I have accordingly set the PG-Fun Café ByteMe & Playground as open membership with no gatekeeping, open to anyone on the entire planet, and want “co-owners,” “co-moderators” sharing with me as possible.

I will never hold anyone or anything hostage to anyone else, and I will not allow anyone to hold anyone or anything hostage over me!

Joop, if that IS what you are doing, then as far as I am concerned with reference to me, “BE SOMEWHERE ELSE!”

>Sorry, but I'm not here for a popularity contest. I am upholding the principals in
>which I believe and if you and the rest of the panel do not support me on
>issues such as this one, you can have my resignation, because unlike Joop, I
>am happy to be replaceable.

"Ditto" suffices here!

>Regards,
>Joanna

No one should get the idea here that I am in anyway taking sides with or defending or boosting Joanna. She hardly needs me or anyone for that! It would be demeaning to even think it.

Nor am I attacking Joop personally, only on principle.

I am speaking crystal clearly for myself! And while Joanna may feel herself forced to resign, I WILL NOT LEAVE THIS GROUP other than on my own steam and in my own time, AND that’s not going to be for a long long time.

If you want to see a screaming “Queen” honey, you ain’t seen nothing yet! The wildest faggot you can imagine in your worst nightmare wouldn't hold a candle to me!

[More comments below...]

Vivek, I will be as sensitive to our differing cultural contexts as I can imagine and be.

Nevertheless I speak plainly.

Your proposal “That way, we can continue to keep this process transparent, and have a handle on things” troubles me in the extreme.

Exactly what is your meaning, “have a handle?”

What is it about a 100% transparent vote with ballots returned to the list that suggests it needs controlling?

As for exchanges of the Joanna-Joop kind, or now the Joey-Joop-Vivek kind, they will do no such thing as doom this initiative. Quite the contrary “handling” things is the surest route to doom! Even the appearance of secrecy or control or manipulation will doom this initiative!

Please, please tell me that that is not your aim?

/s/ Joey

Tuesday, September 03, 2002 * 12:36 PM EDT USA
=====
  Everyone, please join me and all our esteemed colleagues
  for purely mindless fun at Café ByteMe & Playground!
--
                     *** Café ByteMe & Playground ***
     We serve the Best Beverages & Bytes on the planet!