Re: [atlarge-discuss] RE: [atlarge-panel] website email

On Tue, 03 Sep 2002 05:05:44 -0400, you wrote:

>Vivek,
>There is nothing transparent about Panel members receiving offlist replies.
>What is transparent is replies posted to a list that is publicly archived,
>which Joop is refusing to set up, because he would rather receive payment
>for his Polling Booth instead, which he personally owns, hence he is making
>it as difficult as possible to conduct this ballot another way.
>
>Refusing to release the membership list is all part of the same problem,
>because it means a separate list to receive the ballot papers cannot be set
>up independently without his prior agreement and to go further, he is
>refusing to accept the authority of the Panel, not least by insisting the
>ICANNAtLarge.com domain remains on the ballot paper.
>
>Now what I want to know is why you would defend a webmaster who is holding
>this organization to ransom while insulting the Chair who is fighting to get
>this cancer cut out.

While I am sympathetic with you - having had the same kind of
difficulties with Joop for the time of my Chairmanship - I think that
Joop has a point here. I don't think that the Chair should be able to
decide on her own who gets very sensible information such as the
members' list and personal data. I think there should be at least a
panel vote (and personally, I would like to have a relatively wide
distribution list, and possibly to be part of it too). So you should
simply call that vote, then we approve it and we elegantly solve the
issue without furtherly rising the level of the conflict.

As for insults, fortunately I didn't see any for the moment, unless I
missed something (then please point it out). To me neither Joop nor
Vivek seem likely to get down to insults at any time... So I hope we
won't have to see any. We definitely don't need them.
--
vb.               [Vittorio Bertola - v.bertola [a] bertola.eu.org]<------