[atlarge-discuss] Let's refocus our efforts and play nice!

Joanna Lane wrote:

> For those who may have been experiencing doubts as to why they are still
> participating, I would just like to share something that has reassured me
> today.

Thanks for this, Joanna.  Are you able to attribute that quote to someone?

I think Joanna's concerns stem from a general "short-tempered" attitude that
I have noticed here as well.  Folks, no one said this  process is going to
be fast, convenient or easy, particularly if we want to do it right.  We
have done much already, but we still have an enormous effort ahead of us
before we can serve as an effective voice to the Internet user community.
Each of us needs to commit ourselves to cooperate with each other, and
particularly support the elected officials we voted it to lead the effort.

I know that we harbor very diverse views about what direction the At Large
should take, and that's not a bad thing: our constituency, once we get to
know them better, are likely going to have even more diverse positions than
our current membership!  But let us all please put our differences aside for
now and concentrate on building our organization infrastructure.  To that
end, I make the following requests:

1.  Take the time to read the *intent* of people's words, and don't
automatically assume the negative inference you're reading into them was the
writer's intent.  We've all been burned so many times by ICANN that our
initial assumptions are usually negative!  Unless someone's words are
clearly provocative, if you're not certain about their intent, ask them!
This goes double or triple if the conversation is between persons from
different cultures!

2.  Stop the name-calling, veiled insults and unfounded allegations.  I
imagine many of them are reactions to misinterpretations, as noted above.
But irregardless, they are disruptive and lower the tone of conversation in
this *open* forum.  Worse, they give our enemies in ICANN ammunition they
can use later to impeach our credibility.  I imagine they have a staffer
reading every line we write and saving the "useful" parts!  (if you're one
of them, shame on you!)

3.  Let's not throw roadblocks in front of our panel members as they attempt
to guide our organizing efforts.  I've said this before: Lead, Follow, or
Get Out of the Way!  Our leaders have been chosen.  We chose them.  If you
believe in our cause, then follow them!  That means giving them access to
organization records when asked (we don't *even* need to perpetuate ICANN's
"board vs. staff" turf wars!); stepping forward to create mailing lists, Web
pages, etc., if you have the skill and/or resources available;  and
*actively* participating in the various working groups.

4.  Panel members, please keep your disagreements to yourselves!  In
parenting classes they stress never arguing in front of the kids!  I
remember similar advice in management classes regarding managers and
subordinates.  Work our your differences between yourselves, then pass us
your decisions.  But don't spill your disagreements over into the Discuss
list.  It makes the readers uncomfortable and lowers the level of debate as
others jump in to take sides!  (I'm sure the "open process" zealots may
object to this.  But they always have the option to go to the Panel list if
they want to look at the Panel's  dirty laundry!)

Bruce Young
Portland, Oregon USA
bruce@barelyadequate.info
http://www.barelyadequate.info