Micheal Sherrill

From: "Ron Sherwood" <sherwood@islands.vi>
Date:  Wed, 25 Sep 2002 21:05:35 -0400

At-large members:

    Imagine, if you will, an established organization (or corporate body) that is somewhat concerned about a lively, but disorganized group that has a serious and legitimate agenda which could possibly impact the will of the establishment.  Just suppose for a moment that the small group grows, first to be a hundred strong and then to one thousand.  Consider what that group may become if they are able to organize themselves into a force that is able to motivate tens of thousands or millions of members around the world.  Surely the establishment's would be justified.

    Now imagine that the establishment was to wait until the lively little group was right in the middle of an important decision making poll that was to be the first real test of their ability to present a consensual public image.   And, at that point, the establishment was able to arrange for a certain "associated" lawyer to proclaim that the very decision that the small group was about to make, could lead to dire and expensive repercussions for those that were trying to manage the fledgling upstart.  If only the experiment in consensus could be derailed and turned into a melee of internecine fighting, calls for cancellation or interfering with the poll and possibly even lead to the resignation of one or more of the leaders.  What a coup that would be for the establishment.  Can't you see in your mind's eye, the smug guffaws as the establishment elite share the hysterical postings among themselves as they watch the divisive arguments and the chaos that they have engineered?

    Of course, for such imaginings to have any place in reality, there would have to be an established organization that was concerned about a fledgling group that was starting to get themselves organized. And, there would have to be a fledgling group that was easily conned into abandoning their exercise in democracy by a simple red herring dragged across their path.

    Surely this could never really happen?

Ron