Re: [atlarge-discuss] Short-term goals

> On Sat, 28 Sep 2002, Bruce Young wrote:
>
> > Now that our name has been chosen, we have...several very
> >pressing tasks that must be attacked immediately
>    ...Yes
>
>  0a. "Well, then who's playin' first? Yes." - Our Panel: ...

I think it is agreed that we have a lot to do, and we cannot do it all at
the same time.

First things first would be for me to know who is the panel at present.

Yes, we had one. Then there were resignations. Then there were suggestions
how to proceed, and there was even reference to a clear good old text which
provided how to proceed: to let those move up who had received the next highest
votes. But there were also several suggestions that people who had resigned
might reconsider (I have not seen any answer to this from the persons
concerned).

So I think it is clear procedurally who is the present panel.

If this correct, can the present panel members please say who they are, and
that they agree on this composition. Just to avoid any further discussion and
delays.

Next: the webmaster. Joop has been doing a good job (I think). He asked for
somebody else to take over. Sotiris volunteered.

I did not get the information that Joop refuses stubbornly to hand over.
What I understood is that he wanted a clear vote from the panel, so that things
proceed properly - and I do not remember to have seen this vote (I always
concede that I may not have seen something which is important, or that I did not
understand it sufficiently - that is why I try to put my simple
understanding up here, asking to either correct me, or, if possible, to move along).

So if we know for sure who the panel is, then I would hope the panel can
clearly say what and when should happen with the webmaster task (and the content
of our web site). If my scenario is too simple, Joop and Sotiris will surely
correct me here.

And then are the other questions: mission statement, bylaws drafting, where
has which paperwork been filed (nothing, nowhere, I think), finance committee
(to start thinking now what to do once the paperwork has been filed and a
bank account can be opened).

And I think one very important task for the panel is to look into the agenda
and timetable of ICANN - the board meets end of October, and at-large is on
the agenda. There were detailed references how ICANN is seeing the next
steps. I think the one year extension given by the US DoC sees the stakeholder
participation different from what the ICANN timetable projects. That means: hard
and quick work is necessary to analyse the DoC statement for at-large
concerns, and then bring some of this analysis to the membership.

I do not think that everything can be drafted by the membership, and I trust
that the panel - once it is starting to work on ICANN/at-large challenges
now that the name odyssey is over - will come with some short-term suggestions
which we should be able to comment on and agree in general - and then let the
panel communicate with others: other at-large organizations and the ICANN
staff and board. But to wait and not work on the DoC/ICANN/At-Large agenda
until we have a full fledged system of bylaws will only result in having missed
the train even more...

That's what I think about short-term urgent next steps.

Norbert

--
Norbert Klein
Open Forum of Cambodia: www.forum.org.kh