Re: [atlarge-discuss] Short-term goals

Norbert and all stakeholders or other interested parties and members,

Norbert Klein wrote:

> > On Sat, 28 Sep 2002, Bruce Young wrote:
> >
> > > Now that our name has been chosen, we have...several very
> > >pressing tasks that must be attacked immediately
> >    ...Yes
> >
> >  0a. "Well, then who's playin' first? Yes." - Our Panel: ...
>
> I think it is agreed that we have a lot to do, and we cannot do it all at
> the same time.

  Very true.  But we can do a number of tasks simultaneously that are
interrelated...  In fact we must..

> First things first would be for me to know who is the panel at present.
>
> Yes, we had one. Then there were resignations. Then there were suggestions
> how to proceed, and there was even reference to a clear good old text which
> provided how to proceed: to let those move up who had received the next highest
> votes. But there were also several suggestions that people who had resigned
> might reconsider (I have not seen any answer to this from the persons
> concerned).
>
> So I think it is clear procedurally who is the present panel.
>
> If this correct, can the present panel members please say who they are, and
> that they agree on this composition. Just to avoid any further discussion and
> delays.
>
> Next: the webmaster. Joop has been doing a good job (I think). He asked for
> somebody else to take over. Sotiris volunteered.
>
> I did not get the information that Joop refuses stubbornly to hand over.
> What I understood is that he wanted a clear vote from the panel, so that things
> proceed properly - and I do not remember to have seen this vote (I always
> concede that I may not have seen something which is important, or that I did not
> understand it sufficiently - that is why I try to put my simple
> understanding up here, asking to either correct me, or, if possible, to move along).

  To a degree you are right here Norbert.  But in actuality all that Joop
needs to do, which I had at one time thought he actually had done
was turnover the Website keys.  My understanding was that he did that
to the panel and Bret.  Now, all we need to do is move over that
data to the new DN, ICANNATLARGE.ORG.  This could be accomplished
in about 2 or three hours if cooperation and coordination is achieved.

> So if we know for sure who the panel is, then I would hope the panel can
> clearly say what and when should happen with the webmaster task (and the content
> of our web site). If my scenario is too simple, Joop and Sotiris will surely
> correct me here.
>
> And then are the other questions: mission statement, bylaws drafting, where
> has which paperwork been filed (nothing, nowhere, I think), finance committee
> (to start thinking now what to do once the paperwork has been filed and a
> bank account can be opened).

  I have as I said already set up a Bank account.  Again all that needs to be done
is 1.) Getting the bylaws in place so as to be able to turn over this account
in a a legal and ethical manner.  2.) Hire with seed capital if necessary,
a Treasurer or comptroller...

> And I think one very important task for the panel is to look into the agenda
> and timetable of ICANN - the board meets end of October, and at-large is on
> the agenda.

  I would hope that if we, and especially the Panel moves quickly with the
bylaws draft, we can accomplish this deadline.  So far though we have not
been very successful at meeting our own deadlines...

> There were detailed references how ICANN is seeing the next
> steps. I think the one year extension given by the US DoC sees the stakeholder
> participation different from what the ICANN timetable projects. That means: hard
> and quick work is necessary to analyse the DoC statement for at-large
> concerns, and then bring some of this analysis to the membership.

  Thus far the reform effort that ICANN has set forth for itself, is not
only not realistic from a time standpoint, but is also not realistic from
a basic structure and implementation standpoint either.  This should
now however effect us a this time really..

> I do not think that everything can be drafted by the membership, and I trust
> that the panel - once it is starting to work on ICANN/at-large challenges
> now that the name odyssey is over - will come with some short-term suggestions
> which we should be able to comment on and agree in general - and then let the
> panel communicate with others: other at-large organizations and the ICANN
> staff and board.

  It is true that not everything can be drafted by the membership.  But much
certainly can and as much a possible, should be.  The panel's mandate is
limited.  It needs to concentrate on those tasks predominantly.  Others
of the members, should form up committees, such as the finance, Funding
and leason to other at-Large efforts and the ICANN BOD via
quick and brief time frame elections for those positions.

> But to wait and not work on the DoC/ICANN/At-Large agenda
> until we have a full fledged system of bylaws will only result in having missed
> the train even more...

  Most likely true.  But is that all that important?

> That's what I think about short-term urgent next steps.

  Agreed.