Re: [atlarge-discuss] WG-ID requested radiation for identity abuse

Vittorio and all stakeholders or other interested parties and members,

Vittorio Bertola wrote:

> On Wed, 02 Oct 2002 16:46:21 +0200, you wrote:
>
> >I suggest that the "Discredit Fauds" Member is removed from the list as an
> >obvious abuse of identity. You will note that the ReplyTo are to
> >jwilliams@hotmail.com
> >
> >- either Discredit Frand is a fake name for Jeff Williams and as such
> >should not be allowed to vote
> >- or it is an attempt to use the identity of Jeff Williams and to receive
> >mails in his name what is a very serious abuse.
>
> However we don't have any procedure or approved policy on this. I think we
> must approve one before practically doing anything. Also, much depends on
> the approach we want to take: when one member's identity is challenged, do
> we consider him "real" unless reasonable proof of his fakeness is given, or
> do we adopt the opposite approach? I would be scared by the latter option,
> and though I don't think we have any proof that this person is not real.
>
> A middle solution would be having a group of trustees who must be provided,
> for example, with a scan or paper copy of a person's ID/passport if the
> identity is challenged.

  ANy one can receive the information at a persons having a passport in the
us via a proper FOIA request.  Those are pretty easy to get.  It would
be a mistake and a violation of privacy for anyone to scan their passport
and put it up on an unsecured mailing list, as that information can than be
used to create false Identity papers/passports.  Same it true of a
Drivers license.  Without a nondisclosure agreement for each member
singed by a bonded office of this organization, which does not yet
exist, such a method would be dangerous and is NOT recommended
by US law enforcement agencies, as well as other countries
law enforcement agencies.  Hence Vittorio, although you suggestion
sounds simple and nice in it very simplicity, the ramifications to any
member could be severely dangerous to their person and their identity
as to identity theft, amongst a host of other problems in the post
9/11 era..