Re: [atlarge-discuss] Where To Incorporate

On Thu, 10 Oct 2002 04:27:07 -0700, eric@hi-tek.com wrote:

>> > in an appropriate country. THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT BECAUSE IT WILL ALSO
>> CONFER
>> > LIMITED LIABILITY ON THE MEMBERS.  AT PRESENT ALL MEMBERS ARE EQUALLY AND
>> > JOINTLY LIABLE FOR ANY COSTS OF ICANNATLARGE.ORG SO IF FOR EXAMPLE A
>> DEFAMATORY
>> > STATEMENT WAS POSTED ON OUR WEBSITE THEN THE MEMBERS COULD HAVE TO PAY ANY
>> > DAMAGES.
>
>What, Where, and How could this be?  If this is NZ law I suggest we stay very
>far away from that jurisdiction.

This is the case in probably all western countries and many more.
Limited liability is not automatic for a group of people which get
together to do something - it only applies upon registration as a
limited liability body such as a company or non profit society.

>Publishers, Editors and Writers I understand, but to hold Joe Shmoe liable for
>what Joop puts on the website is very strange.  Or perhaps this is another
>unfounded scare tactic (ala ICANNatlarge) to drop participation.

It would depend on whether Joop put it up with no reference to anyone
or Joop was putting something up which icannatlarge.org has asked him
to do.

>Please Clarify or retract such wild statements. Unless it is your intent to
>drive away membership.

Umm if you look at what is proposed, the idea is to register so we do
gain limited liability.

>Certainly by International Standards this is not the law.

Well your knowledge of international law must differ from mine.

DPF
--
david@farrar.com
ICQ 29964527