Re: [atlarge-discuss] Hack Report

At 10:33 a.m. 3/11/2002 -0800, Bret Fausett wrote:
Early this morning, Sunday 3 November 2002, the discussion forum of the
icannatlarge web site was apparently hacked. Most of our discussions have
moved onto mailing lists, so I have taken the forum off-line until the issue
can be resolved. I've temporarily put up a replacement page asking
conversations to move to <atlarge-discuss@lists.fitug.de>.

     http://icannatlarge.com/forum/

To the best of my knowledge, the culprits did not hack the main site or any
of the static pages. What was compromised was the online web-based
discussion forum, so I assume a security vulnerability in that particular
software was exploited.

I apologize if any ongoing conversations on the web-based forum were
interrupted by this outage. Please move them to this discussion list until
the forum is again up and running.
This is an outrage, Bret.

How can you tell the members to "move their discussion here", when there are not here?

Taking the Forum offline, with its full record of on-going discussions, is an act of sabotage.
Can you perhaps be more specific about that "apparent" hacking attempt?
Have you discussed it with the Forum Administrator?
When the site was hacked before, I worked 6 hours to update the Forum software and had everything back on-line within 12 hours.

First after your takeover, you have censored our frontpage.
Both the outspoken "palace coup" quotation of Chuck Costello *and* the commitment to provide regular site backups to be held in escrow have disappeared.

And now 10Mb of archived Forum discussion, Mission Statement drafts, Charter Drafts, polls and everything disappears??

Bring it back on-line without delay.
Please.

--Joop