Re: [atlarge-discuss] IPv[X] and their implications - Our Issue

Some random thoughts about the "tunnel-vision Net" (TVN)...

A) TVN already exists on the present IPv4 system. There are two reasons
why AOL and other intranet systems do not rule the day:

   1) customers want unfettered access to all public data
   2) producers (i.e., anyone with public info) want their data
accessible to customers without barriers

I argue that so long as there is sufficient market demand for unfettered
access to public data, that access will continue. There are a lot of Not
Evil[tm] technical ways to limit customers' bandwidth usage as well as
billing leverage... anyway, back to the topic:

I think the only time the Net had any chance of being locked into an
evil TVN was back in 1994/1995. Fortunately for all of us, Bill Gates
didn't "get it" back then so we're not saddled with MSN == Net!

B) VPN has some good uses. Telecommuting, hooking up corporate and
personal intranets together, etc. for sharing private data. Rather than
using the present masquerading and/or VPN hacks, it's nice to see some
protocol support for this set-up. I suppose it's possible IPv6 VPN
traffic may be billed differently than public traffic, though.

C) Route-based billing is probably more expensive to pass onto customers
en masse than billing at a flat-rate and gambling on the usage averages.

D) I think that so long as we work to prevent monopoly control over the
Net, the public space will be preserved. Every little bit helps:

   1) foster competition: actively look for the best deal, best Terms of
Service, etc. for your ISP. Don't just go with the local cable/phone
monopoly because it's "easier" (whatever that means)... find one that
restricts your freedom the least, one that gives you greatest return on
your peso, dollar, euro, etc.

   2) Marketers/Producers: Don't make IE- or Microsoft-only content.
You're buying into the Microsoft "embrace-and-extend" strategy. It may
look cheaper in the short term to develop for one browser and one
interface, but you'll be paying for it in the long term in higher
license fees for all your development and platform software. Worse,
imagine the Net developing into Microsoft TVN. Goodbye unfettered access
to public data.

   3) Work with (or at least vote for representatives in) Internet
stakeholder groups, such as our young ICANNATLARGE.ORG, to ensure
monopoly control is not extended over the Internet through faux
standards processes, in behind-the-scenes deals in smoky rooms between
politicians and monopolists.

If I completely misunderstood you, let me know, James!
-s

On Sun, 2002-11-10 at 22:31, Jkhan wrote:
> I'd like to express in a layman's perspective, the 'Technologically
> Engineered' segregating differences between IPv6 and IPv[X]* (*be that
> IPv4, etc... ) and the implications of Icann's
> authorization/adaptation/implementation of IPv6.
<snip>