From: "Jaz-Michael King" <JMKing@ipro.org>
To: <atlarge-discuss@lists.fitug.de>
Sent: Tuesday, November 12, 2002 5:46 AM
Subject: Re: [atlarge-discuss] Time...

>Where does this group stand on (a) top posting (it seems to be allowed so
I'll follow suit) and (b) one of my peeves is that all domain names cost
money. TLD >namespace in my opinion is a public resource, much like the
airwaves. Just like the airwaves, it costs money to keep together, but I
think there's room for a public >TLD, much like reserved frequencies for
public access radio. It would be better of course if all CC TlDs remained
free to their respective citizens, and I admit the >cost of entry is low,
but still, money is money.

I agree with you about a public tld. Not sure where everyone else stands on
it. But there would have to be some way to assure one domain name per user,
or some kind of number limit and some way to prove that it isn't being
abused, because speculators would still rush in, file all the good one-word
names, then once they are gone, there would be a monetary value on them,
putting you back to square one.

>Also, where does this group stand on expanding TLDs to include anything and
everything, i.e. .bob, .car, .donkey... As a group is iaccanatlarge.org for
keeping the >reins in on allowing only a select few words approved by icann
become tlds?

I am and always have been in favor of either that or simply include the
pacific root, the atlantic root, and all the other roots out there that
already have those tlds created.

>Just trying to get a handle on what (if) I'm becoming part of.

>Also, the web site is full of broken links and various papers and quotes
that cannot be distiunguished from what the org has produced over what's
been taken and >pasted up there. Who is responsible for the site? More
iimportantly, the Charter is linked to non-existent forums, where is this
Charter? I would very much like to >see what it is the org is Chartered to
do.

Ahh, the charter, mission statement, staement of purpose, etc. I'm still
waiting for that.

Thanks

Jaz