Re: [atlarge-discuss] Some Simple Facts...

On Tue, 2003-01-07 at 01:56, DPF wrote:

> >NZ incorporated
> >"icannatalarge.org" and would not be excited at an US, French, >>Canadian,
> >VI or else non profit organization wanting to relate with them.

> >This final point is particularly relevant - I think the strong argument for
> >national/local AtLarge organisations is the added legitimacy they can derive
> >from seeking to speak authoritatively on the local/national interests,
> >liaise with ccTLD operatives
>
> But in many countries registrants already have great representation
> with the ccTLD so don't need some subset of a global group.  In Canada
> all registrants are eligible to elect some of their CIRA Board.  In
> New Zealand the InternetNZ Council is dominated by registrants with
> only one of 18 members being an industry rep.

That's great for registrants, but the proverbial "Mom & Pop" still lack
an appropriate level of representation.

One day in the future it may become common for everyone to get a domain
name and/or permanent IP address as part of signing up for Internet
service. However, until that point -- and, actually, as part of working
toward that future -- "Mom & Pop" lack appropriate representation.

-s