Re: [atlarge-discuss] enough waiting

Vittorio Bertola wrote:
On Mon, 03 Feb 2003 11:42:07 +1300, you wrote:
so that I can put it to votes as soon as possible. Hopefully, enough
panelists will show up to approve it and then I'll be able to give you
the membership list and we'll run a proper vote. Otherwise, you'll
only bring confusion to our membership.
The only thing which is really clear is that there is already a lot of
confusion - I know that some members (who asked me) are totally confused
(in spite of the nice explanations) about Panel administered polls and a
separate bottom-up poll.

Too bad that it was not possible to work towards structered consensus
finding - in any such process a lot of individuals are not seeing their
personal opinion as part of the majority trends, but still there is an
broadly accepted common ground. Why did we fail to build one in this
important area of creating a strong voice for Internet users?

I add here a brief section of the URL Sotiris had recommended to read:

==
It is almost as though Ellis was illustrating arguments that Howard Rheingold makes in his new book, Smart Mobs. As Rhinegold explains, "Smart mobs consist of people who are able to act in concert even if they don't know each other. The people who make up smart mobs cooperate in ways never before possible because they carry devices that possess both communication and computing capabilities.... Groups of people using these tools will gain new forms of social power."
==

We were by far too small and confused to gain social power as a traditional organization or institution, and we were also not able to act in concert in the way Smart Mobs cooperate.

Sad.

--
Norbert Klein
Open Forum of Cambodia