Re: [atlarge-discuss] Poll watcher rights and duties

At 10:55 a.m. 9/04/2003, Stephen Waters wrote:
On Tue, 2003-04-08 at 17:18, Joop Teernstra wrote:

> In fact, I have already offered my help in assigning a random passcode to
> each member, specific for this election.
> I do not have to build a new system for that. It is ready and has been used
> hundreds of times.

But it's web-based, right?
No, this part is not.
The Polling officer feeds the addresses into the system and it spits out an email message to each member, each with its own unique alphanumeric passcode.

This passcode can then be used either for web based voting or for email based voting.
The only problem/feature is that the system does not generate a *list* of passwords, as such lists would be an inherent security risk.

As for "disenfranchising" members who cannot access the web, I do not agree.
This is not disenfranchising, just (perhaps) slightly increasing the burden of voting.

As most members are not contributing anything else, and they are not asked to cross a mountain ridge to walk to the polling place, I feel (along with 76 vs. 21) that the web is the preferred place to practice democracy.

Please ponder what Jan said:
"Demanding perfection at this stage is to force us out of existence. "The
best is the enemy of the good." The means of security should grow
organically as the organization grows."

-joop-